January 21, 2010

Rich Countries Must Rebuild Haiti

Washington Post, Washington Post

AP Photo

FIVE YEARS after the tsunami unleashed its destructive fury in the Indian Ocean, large-scale reconstruction is still underway in Aceh, the Indonesian region where an estimated 200,000 people died. In Haiti, where the scale of damage and death from last week's earthquake may be roughly comparable -- but whose challenges in rebuilding are even greater -- recovery is likely to be an even longer process. The United States and other major international donors should prepare for that long-term commitment to help with humanitarian, logistical, engineering and nation-building tasks but without raising false hopes...

Read Full Article ››

TAGGED: Haiti, Indian Ocean, Aceh

RECOMMENDED ARTICLES

May 13, 2012
Haiti's Cholera Crisis
New York Times
The cholera epidemic in Haiti, which began in late 2010, is bad and getting worse, for reasons that are well understood and that the aid community has done far too little to resolve. A chronic lack of access to clean water and... more ››
May 11, 2012
Why Is it Taking So Long to Rebuild Haiti?
Tate Watkins, TAI
“The glass is 10 percent full,” says Nigel Fisher, the U.N.’s humanitarian coordinator for reconstruction efforts in Haiti. “It’s now time to tackle the remaining 90 percent.” Yet more than two years after the... more ››